The Bluest Eye
Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:30am
Who: Best for ages 15 and up.
The Guthrie's recommended minimum age is 12 years old. Children younger than 8 will not be admitted. All children must have a ticket to enter the theater.
Cost for Adults/Educators: $16.00
Cost for Children/Students: $16.00
Please register by: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 5:00pm
Please check in by 9:30am. For no additional cost, student matinees include an optional 30-minute pre-play presentation during which students learn more about the production directly from professional artists and members of the Guthrie’s staff. Pre-show presentations run from 9:45am–10:15am.
For no additional cost, following the matinee performance, you are invited to stay for a post-play discussion with members of the cast. The post-play discussion concludes no more than 40 minutes after the performance ends.
Wurtele Thrust Stage
A moving adaptation of a powerful novel.
Based on Toni Morrison’s first novel, The Bluest Eye is a heartrending coming-of-age story about a young black girl in 1940s Ohio. Pecola Breedlove wants nothing more than to be loved, but she’s only met with ridicule and abuse. Confronting turmoil at home, she prays for Shirley Temple’s blue eyes, believing their beauty is the only thing standing between her and the happiness of the white girls at school. By turns beautiful and harrowing, this powerful adaptation explores the destructive power of a racist society and the strength of a community attempting to embrace an era of change.
THE BLUEST EYE
adapted by Lydia R. Diamond
directed by Lileana Blain-Cruz
Play Guides offer students a deeper understanding of Guthrie productions by providing commentaries about the playwright, the play's cultural and historical context and its literary significance, as well as additional sources and questions for classroom use. Play Guides are posted as they are available at guthrietheater.org/education/play_guides
More information: guthrietheater.org/plays_events/plays/_bluest_eye
Payment must be received by: Thu, Feb 23, 2017 - 5:00pm
- Please plan to send your payment the same day that you register.
The organizer will expect to receive your payment within 3 days of your date of registration — or by the payment deadline above, whichever comes first.
- Immediately after you register, you will be emailed payment instructions from admin(at)homeschoolrecess(dot)com.
Make sure your email filters recognize this address as a legitimate sender. If you don't receive this email, please check your spam, junk or bulk mail folder. Contact the organizer if you are unable to find it; if you receive no response to your email, please call the organizer.
You are not officially registered until the organizer receives your payment.
- When the organizer records your payment, you will be emailed a payment receipt from admin(at)homeschoolrecess(dot)com.
If you've sent your payment and haven't received a payment confirmation, please contact the organizer by email or phone.
- If the organizer doesn't receive payment within 3 days of your date of registration or by the payment deadline, whichever comes first, the organizer may remove your family from the registration list.
You will be notified with an email from admin(at)homeschoolrecess(dot)com should this unfortunate event occur.
If you are unable to send payment immediately, please contact the organizer to make other arrangements. This protects the organizer from non-payment due to payment instructions blocked by overly aggressive spam protection.
- If you need to cancel your registration, please do so via an email request to the organizer.
Non-payment is not an acceptable way to cancel your registration. If you wish to cancel, please be respectful of the volunteer organizer's time and send an email request.
If you fail to send a cancellation request by the cancellation deadline, you will remain responsible for reimbursing the organizer for the cost of your family's participation.
- To help the organizer identify you in the registration database, please include your username and field trip number along with any requests. This information can be found in your payment instructions email message and on the registration form on this page.
Cancellation deadline: Mon, Feb 20, 2017 - 5:00pm
* TO CANCEL BEFORE THE DEADLINE: (1) Please let the organizer know as soon as possible via email. * TO CANCEL AFTER THE DEADLINE: (1) Let the organizer know as soon as possible via email. (2) No refunds can be made as the organizer has already paid for your tickets. (3) To avoid empty seats, please attempt to transfer your tickets to another family. (3a) Any reimbursements should be handled privately between you and your substitute. (3b) Please let the organizer know about the substitution. * TO CANCEL ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT: (1) It is not cool to just not show up. Please let the organizer know if you are unable to attend — via email, text message or voice mail. (2) To avoid empty seats, please attempt to find a last-minute substitute for your family.
Please arrive by:
* Please plan to be early to avoid being late due to inadequate maps, confusing road signs, road construction, heavy traffic, parking difficulties, inclement weather or uncooperative children. Allow for plenty of time to find parking, visit the bathrooms and otherwise be prepared to be seated promptly. * Please check in by 9:30am for the Pre-Show Presentation. If you are not attending the Pre-Show Presentation, please plan to arrive by 10am. * Each seat at the Guthrie is reserved so you must sit in the assigned seat printed on your ticket. No one is allowed into the auditorium without a ticket; each theatergoer should have his or her own ticket in hand upon arrival. Children must have student tickets and adults must have chaperone tickets. Ushers will assist everyone to their assigned seat. * Latecomers will be seated during an appropriate break in the action, determined at the discretion of the Guthrie. No refunds, exchanges or adjustments are made for late arrivals.
Where to meet:
* We do not meet as a group. The organizer will mail your tickets to you at least 2 weeks prior to the show. Please be sure to provide your mailing address in the comment field when you register.
* Food, beverages, gum and candy are not allowed in the auditorium during student matinees.
* During inclement weather, allow extra travel time. The Guthrie does not cancel performances due to inclement weather. After the cancellation deadline, no refunds or exchanges can be made if you are unable to attend your scheduled performance for any reason, including weather. In the unlikely event that the Guthrie cancels the performance, any refunds will be solely at the discretion of the Guthrie Theater.
* Parking is available in the city-owned Riverfront Ramp directly across from the Guthrie on South 2nd Street, just east of Chicago Avenue. Riverfront Municipal Ramp clearance is 8' 2" at the entrance with limited van parking near the entrance; clearance is 7' in the rest of the ramp. Parking rates are subject to change, but expect to pay about $6. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/parking/ramps/parking_riverfront * The Mill Quarter Parking Ramp entrance is on South 2nd Street, west of Chicago Avenue. Clearance is 8' 2" in the ramp. Parking rates are subject to change, but expect to pay about $6. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/parking/ramps/parking_mill-quarter * Additional ramps and lots are located throughout the neighborhood. Fees vary. * Double parking is not permitted on South 2nd Street at any time. Do not block the pedestrian crosswalk or the service entrance. * Additional information on parking can be found at http://www.guthrietheater.org/sites/default/files/GroupParking.pdf
* The Guthrie is located in downtown Minneapolis on the west bank of the Mississippi River. See http://www.guthrietheater.org/visit/getting_here_parking for more information. -- From southbound I-35W, take the Washington Ave exit (exit 17C). Turn right onto Washington Ave, then right onto 11th Ave S. Turn left onto S 2nd St and go 2 blocks. The Guthrie will be on your right. -- From eastbound I-94, take the N 4th St exit (exit 230). Turn left onto 3rd Ave S then right onto S 2nd St and go 4 blocks. The Guthrie will be on your left. -- From northbound I-35W, take the 3rd Ave/Washington Ave exit (exit 17C). Turn left onto Washington Ave then right onto 11th Ave S. Turn left onto S 2nd St and go 2 blocks. The Guthrie will be on your right. -- From eastbound I-394, take the 3rd Ave N/Washington Ave exit (exit 9C). Take the Washington Ave ramp. Turn right onto Washington Ave then left onto Chicago Avenue. Turn right onto St 2nd St. The Guthrie will be on your left. -- From westbound I-94, take the 5th St exit. Turn righto onto 11th Ave S then left onto S 2nd St and go 2 blocks. The Guthrie will be on your right. -- The nearest MetroTransit bus stop for the Guthrie is the Route 7 or Route 22 stop on the corner of Washington Ave at Chicago Ave. For light rail, use the Downtown East/Metrodome Station stop. Visit metrotransit.org for more information.
Please login to register for this field trip.
If you have already registered for this field trip, please login to view your current registration status.