First, there is no “us,” just a “me.”
HomeschoolRecess was created by Ellen Crain, a homeschooling mother. In August 2014, Ellen turned the site over to another homeschool mom, Nic Rosenau.
What is HomeschoolRecess.com?
HomeschoolRecess provides an online registration system for homeschool field trips set up by homeschool coops, homeschool groups, and homeschooling families. The goal is to automate many of the repetitive tasks involved in organizing a group event.
- Each group has its own group page.
- Each field trip has its own event information page including a registration form.
- When a group member registers for a field trip, they are automatically sent an email with the organizer's payment instructions
- When an organizer records a payment, an email receipt is automatically sent to the participant.
- Event reminders are automatically sent out 5 days before the field trip
- Organizers can use HomeschoolRecess to send payment due reminders, registration cancellations notices, thank you notes to attendees, and general email announcements about the field trip to all those who are registered
- Organizers can download signup lists for on-site check-in
Why did Ellen create HomeschoolRecess.com?
Ellen wanted there to be an inclusive online community for homeschoolers that is easy to find and use. It's just too hard to find other homeschoolers in your community, especially if you're new to homeschooling and the tools homeschoolers have available to communicate online don't work very well for our purposes -- it's too hard to plan and promote a field trip. Ellen tried to make a website that is a tool, not a time sink, because, hey, you've got better things to do than sit in front of the computer!